Implementing a cloud-based asset management solution for your organization
Your team has a SaaS solution ready to roll out. Now what? Proper integration of your operations management software (CMMS and Enterprise Asset Management) is crucial to ensuring its success. While some on-premise solutions can take considerable time and effort, a cloud-based system is substantially more accessible. It’s time to think about the implementation process, and how to make it a seamless, stress-free transition for your organization.
Questions for your software provider
Before the implementation process begins, it’s important that you feel valued and prioritized by the vendor. Your team is taking on a large digital transformation, and you should be able to trust the SaaS provider at the helm. Whether your organization selects a cloud-based or on-premise solution, there are a few questions to ask your vendor:
- What is the typical length of implementation?
- How many successful implementations have they performed?
- Are standard operating procedures documented and regularly updated?
- What do their client support or success teams provide?
Implementing an on-premise solution
On-premise asset management solutions generally take longer to implement. Why? There are more nuts and bolts to factor into the successful launch of on-premise technology. This could mean more time spent behind the computer, and less time doing critical work for your club or association, senior living community, medical facility or educational institution. Here’s what you need to consider:
- Verify that the management system is compatible with your existing technology. If your new program does not cooperate with current applications, your organization is responsible for mitigating issues.
- You may be limited in the number of users who can access and utilize the program without obtaining additional licenses, therefore incurring unexpected costs.
- Ensure that your IT staff is familiar with the new program and ready to assist other members of the team. If you do not have IT gurus on staff, you will need to hire enough professionals to assist your team, perform necessary maintenance, and facilitate upgrades.
- After necessary system upgrades, make sure your technology is still compatible with the new software. These upgrades will need to be performed manually by trained members of your team.
Implementing a cloud-based solution
Cloud-based solutions can quickly and easily revamp your existing asset management strategy. The logic behind this is simple: cloud-based CMMS or EAM systems save on time, money, and human resources. Ready to revolutionize through efficient operations and smart assets? Here are some tips for a smooth implementation:
- Conduct an infrastructure assessment. Your data is hosted by the vendor, but it’s a good idea to make sure your network is prepared to access it.
- Update your SOP documentation. Make sure your team knows how to share, store, and save information with your new platform. Effective communication of the rollout can go a long way.
- Do a practice run and spot-check for potential roadblocks. Many asset management solutions offer a trial period or custom demo. Take advantage of these unique capabilities of a cloud-based SaaS solution to eliminate undue risk.
- Make an actionable, measurable plan. A scaffolded implementation process for your cloud-based CMMS/EAM solution should include project scope, training schedules, and project management.
Regardless of the platform, make sure the chosen solution is scalable to meet your team’s specific needs. There is no one-size-fits-all asset management strategy, and your SaaS provider should reflect that.